Aberdyfi is a Retained Duty System (RDS) station.
RDS firefighters are skilled individuals who do ordinary jobs and offer evening, daytime and/or weekend cover.
Geographical Area covered:
Along the River Dyfi border to Corris. Aberdyfi are often called to incidents over in Mid Wales due to the proximity of the border with Powys.
Sites of Risk:
Hotels, holiday complexes and rural roads. Also a high number of farms and large areas of forestry.
Aberdyfi Fire Station was opened in 1898 as part of Merionyddshire Fire Service.
The original station in Aberdyfi was to the rear of the primary school, but was moved to Joss Humphreys' yard on Copper Hill after the building was involved in a fire in 1915. The station was relocated to its current position in 1967 and became part of North Wales Fire Service in 1996.
Work in the community:
Aberdyfi's crew work within the local community regularly by taking part in activities such as hosting an annual open evening, organising the annual fireworks display and raising funds for local causes.
Staff took part in a sponsored bike ride from Wolverhapton to Aberdyfi and were able to purchase an ECG machine for Tywyn Hospital with the money raised.