Concern following deliberate fires at former North Wales Hospital site


North Wales Police, North Wales Fire Rescue Service and Denbighshire County Council have launched a joint investigation following an incident at the former North Wales Hospital site in Denbigh yesterday.

Firefighters and police officers attended an incident at the property on Wednesday 4th April at 12.28pm and the cause of the fire is believed to be deliberate ignition.

Kevin Roberts, Senior Fire Safety Manager, said: “Deliberate fires place tremendous pressure on resources, with our crews tied up trying to bring them under control, which in turn delays firefighters from attending life threatening incidents.

“It could be you or a member of your family that requires our assistance and we may not be able to get to you as quickly or as easily as we would like because we have to deal with a deliberate fire.

“We would discourage anyone from entering the buildings in the interests of their own safety. These incidents are putting the lives of firefighters and the public at risk.

“Setting fires is a criminal offence and North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is actively working alongside North Wales Police to combat deliberate incidents.”

Leader of Denbighshire, Councillor Hugh Evans OBE, said:  “We are truly saddened to hear about the fire on Wednesday and the fact it was started deliberately beggars belief. 

“This is the latest in a line of arson incidents at the location and despite repeated calls by the Council and the emergency services, some individuals continue to place their own lives and that of others at risk, not to mention posing the significant threat to the future of the historic building. “The Council and its partners have made numerous public appeals highlighting the dangers of the site and asking people to keep away.  Parts of the structure are dangerous and we want to protect the buildings from further damage and deterioration”.

“The Council has been progressing with a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) process to obtain the land. That process is lengthy and not yet complete.  This means that the site continues to be owned by an off shore company based in the British Virgin Islands and issues around the site’s safety are the responsibility of the landowner.

“However, the Council would like to reassure residents and those interested in the future of the site that it is fully committed to continuing with the completion of the CPO process, to protect this historic site for future generations”.

DI Simon Kneale of North Wales Police said; “We are working closely with North Wales Fire and Rescue Service on this investigation. I would appeal to anyone who has information or who may have seen any suspicious activity at the site yesterday or over the weekend to contact us on 101 quoting reference W042193.”

Twitter Facebook YouTube Instagram

Thank you for your email address

We will shortly provide you with the appropriate information.


Thank you for your request