Winter safety advice
Keep warm but safe this winter
It is important to keep the following safety advice to help you reduce the risk of fire in the home as you take additional measures to keep warm
- Take care around open fires
- Use a fireguard and make sure your chimney is clean
- Keep portable heaters away from curtains and furniture and never cover them
- Store electric blankets flat or rolled up, never fold and do not use if the wiring is old or damaged
- Keep candles upright, in a suitable holder and never leave unattended - always extinguish properly
- If you experience a power cut and you have mains powered smoke alarms, check that its battery back-up is working
- In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999 immediately.
Click here for new ‘Stay safe this winter’ booklet featuring advice and activities for children.
Click here to view our Winter safety leaflet.
Please click here to read the Welsh Government's Winter Safety advice.